Were they ashamed when they committed abomination? No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; at the time that I punish them, they shall be overthrown,” says the LORD. (Jeremiah 6:9)
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron. (1 Timothy 4:2)
Even after the Fall, every human being still retains the faculty of conscience. A conscience seared and grievously marred by sin but a conscience nonetheless. Webster defines the conscience as an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one’s behavior. I submit the following principles to ground my concern for the larger Evangelical professing communities:
- There have been only three human beings in time and space with free will. They are Adam, Eve, and Jesus Christ of Nazareth
- All descendants of Adam and Even, except Jesus Christ, have been borne enslaved to sin and thus unable to please God (see Romans 8:6-8). They do not possess free will in their natural unregenerated state
- All who placed their faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ are regenerated, i.e., born-again/saved.
- The regenerated, aka the Elect, now have the ability to please God. The Elect and only the Elect possess the ability to please God. God graciously grants them free will though the old sin nature is still present and active.
- Thus the Non-Elect are forever enslaved to sin with no free will while the Elect are redeemed and have the free will to either obey or disobey God
Now I concede there is not unanimous consensus in the Evangelical community about the particulars of each of the principles I have advanced but for the sake of my blog, let me still press on with today’s concern. I invite the reader to be convinced in their own mind about the doctrine of Soteriology (salvation).
My consternation is with the professing Evangelical community. No biblically informed Evangelical is at all surprised when the adherents of the world system in open and hostile rebellion to its Creator display conduct consistent with their nature. The Bible regards the Non-Elect as fools (Psalm 14:1), as living in darkness (John 3:19), as people who gleefully mimic their Father (John 8:44).
Yet, increasingly we see the Evangelical community display the same sinful wanton conduct as one could only expect from the Non-Elect. While God will hold both the Non-Elect and the Elect accountable for their transgressions, the focus of my consternation centers on the only party that has both the ability and the responsibility to represent God accurately: the Elect.
Case in Point:
The African American Evangelical correctly lamented America’s deplorable and atrocious treatment of African Americans through chattel slavery and the institution of Jim Crowism. Through the voice of Martin Luther King, African Americans clamored for an American where every citizen would be judged on the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
Dr. King prophetically lambasted America for its failure to honor the check she wrote with eloquent words like all men being created with inalienable rights of life, liberty, and happiness.
Yet, it appears those were just mere words of elegant rhetoric with no real substance or authenticity because African American Evangelicals enthusiastically support President Biden’s decision to name the first female African American to the United States Supreme Court. President Biden did not make his decision based on scouring America for the best-qualified person from the available pool of candidates. No, President Biden did the exact opposite of what Dr. King so elegantly said was so vital for America to honor its stated goals about human dignity during the famous March on Washington speech in 1963.
African American Evangelicals lose all credibility when they now accept and celebrate the very malfeasance they so passionately fought against. In the same manner, African American Evangelicals accepted and celebrated the presidency of America’s first African American President, Barack Obama.
Barack Obama was at the time the most radical defender of abortion, yet he received 94% of the African American Evangelical vote. (I will take time to plug my book and invite the reader to purchase a copy. I will include a link at the end of the blog post). Barack Obama sanctioned his Education Department to coerce public educational institutions to accommodate opposite-gender people access to the bathroom of their preferred gender identity. Barack Obama would go on to evolve in his understanding of same-sex marriage. His administration argued for the legalization of same-sex marriage before the United States Supreme Court.
African American Evangelicals still to this day enthusiastically celebrate the Presidency of Barak Obama. President Obama’s stature and overall popularity have actually increased after leaving office. I believe the same bewilderment God spoke through Jeremiah is applicable today. President Obama openly campaigned as a pro-choice candidate, and African American Evangelicals looked the other way and they still to this day do so without blushing.
Through his administration’s Dear Colleague Letter, President Obama opened the floodgates to President Biden’s eventual full-throated support of the transgender movement. The Dear Colleague Letter advanced the following
- Transgender students should be permitted to use restrooms, locker rooms, and residence halls that correspond to their gender identity, and they should not be required to use single-sex facilities.
- Transgender students are entitled to protection under Title IX, regardless of whether they have undergone medical procedures, and regardless of whether official documents, such as birth certificates and government-issued identity cards, reflect the student’s individual gender identity or “sex assigned at birth.”
- Objections from other students or parents do not serve as a basis for denying a transgender student equal access to academic programs, educational activities, and institutional facilities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities should produce school documents and use names and pronouns that correspond to the preferences of their transgender students, regardless of what legal documents might say.
I challenge any intellectually honest Evangelical to digest this information and not concede this is a direct and obvious affront to the clear teaching of Holy Scriptures. Just as God’s holy wrath was aroused during the Old Testament, Evangelicals know full well God’s holy disposition is immutable.
Yet, if you are an African American Evangelical, you are the very person I am concerned about, and that in no way glosses over our Caucasian Evangelical brethren. For the sake of brevity, I will make this blog topic a two-part segment. Lord willing, I will share my equal and, in some respect, more visceral consternation with the Caucasian Evangelical community in a follow-on blog post.
Barack Obama’s political positions were and are still today in complete rebellion against clear, explicit teaching from the very Word of God. What does he get from the African American Evangelical community? Unabased adulation!
Thank God that will not be the end of the story. What does it mean? I confess I do not know, but I know it will not end well for the African American Evangelical who aligns themselves with this God-hating ideology. Yet, I do know there are only two possibilities for my African American Evangelical professing brethren who continue to act in this rebellious fashion:
- You were never regenerated in the first place:
So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. (Matt 7:17)
Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.” (Matt 15:14)
- You are saved but severely negatively impacting your stewardship which will result in a loss of rewards and commendation from Jesus Christ as a result
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?” (1 Peter 4:18)
I give myself no pride for being part of the 6% of the African American Evangelical community who did not vote for Barack Obama. That was pure grace, pure mercy, pure “but for the grace of God go I.”
It is not me but Christ living within me. You see, I once, too, was a fool, trapped in darkness, a pawn of the God of this age. I am the very thankful recipient of God’s amazing grace.
While I was born into sin like all of Adam’s descendants, I was graciously born from above (John 3:3). I now possess the freedom of the will to please God. As a result, voting for anyone who supports the legalization of abortion, the legalization of same-sex marriage, and the legalization of a person to declare themselves opposite the gender assigned to them by their creator is beyond the pale for me as a committed follower of Jesus Christ.
My question to you is simple: Why is it not beyond the pale for you? My consternation is not with those outside the confines of God’s Ark (1 Cor 15:12-13). My consternation is for my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, with the special emphasis today with my fellow African American brethren.
How is it you can sin by aligning with ideologies explicitly in opposition to God’s Word without even blushing?
As always, let me know what you think. Until then, keep your hands to the plow and seek to serve for an Audience of One.
The link for my book, Weighed and Found Wanting: